10 June 2021
Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas – this group of fruits can be highly toxic to dogs. Even a tiny amount has the potential to cause kidney failure.
Chocolate – some types of chocolate can cause greater harm than others, but all chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which dogs are unable to process. If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate, you should consult your vet straight away
Onions - Always keep onions away from your dog as they contain a substance that can damage red blood cells and cause anaemia
Painkillers – common medicines in the home, such as ibuprofen, can cause a range of unpleasant symptoms in dogs, from diarrhoea and vomiting through to stomach ulcers or kidney failure
Mouse and rat poison – these are very dangerous for dogs, as some types can prevent blood clotting internally, with symptoms that can take a few days to show. Always keep these chemicals safely away from your dog
Slugs and snails – lungworm, which live in the heart and major blood vessels to the lungs, can be transmitted by slugs and snails if your dog eats them. Lungworm can cause serious infection and may even prove to be fatal
The common toad – these toads, which are found across the UK, secrete a substance which is toxic if ingested
Other poisons found in the garden include:
- Herbicides (plant-killing chemicals)
- Slug bait
- Spring bulbs such as Daffodils, Tulips, Spring crocus
- Creosote and other wood treatments
To read more about poisons that are essential to keep your dog away from, read further information from The Kennel Club, here
With a Kennel Club Pet Insurance policy, you can access the free Pet Health Helpline, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The veterinary-trained team will advise on any concerns or queries that you may have over your pet’s health – much like the NHS 111 service for people. Call free on 03333 32 19 47.