Garden plants toxic to dogs

Do you know the plants in your garden that are toxic to dogs? Cheddar the Corgi ended up in the vets when she got a taste for a Rhododendron plant in her garden...

At just 8-months-old, Cheddar the Corgi suffered poisoning from a Rhododendron, a very commonly-found plant in the garden. Cheddar was happily pottering around her garden while her owner Rosie was in the kitchen, and having fenced off a Rhododendron plant, knowing it was toxic, gelt confident Cheddar could come to no harm. However she found her way through the fence and had chewed off several branches before Rosie spotted what she was up to. Cheddar was then sick several times.

Rosie called the vet immediately, who advised her to take Cheddar in for some blood tests and monitoring.The symptoms of poisoning can take 12-24 hours to fully show, and eating the leaves or flowers of this particular plant can cause nausea, vomiting, depression, and difficulty breathing, in some cases leading to coma or even death.

Cheddar stayed in overnight on a drip, but fortunately by the next morning, she was feeling a lot better. She has made a full recovery.

“My advice to any dog owners is to check your garden for any toxic plants. This was such a worrying time, and it could have been avoided if we had simply removed the plant. The vets' bill came to over £1,000. Find out what’s in the garden, use a plant identifying app if you’re not sure, just take the time to find out.

As well as some unusual varieties, some of the most common plants found in gardens are toxic to dogs. These include:








Holly berries

Oak tree foliage and acorns

Yew berries and foliage

Find out more about the plants in your garden that are toxic to your pets here:

Plant identifying apps, such as Picture This, are helpful if you're not sure what's what: for Android or for iPhone

With a Kennel Club Pet Insurance policy, you can access the free Pet Health Helpline, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The veterinary-trained team will advise on any concerns or queries that you may have over your pet’s health – much like the NHS 111 service for people. Call free on 03333 32 19 47.