Can dogs eat cucumber?
Hydrating and crunchy cucumber may seem like a great treat for your dog. But, is it safe for them?
Not all human food is suitable for dogs, so it’s always worth checking first. Some fruit and veg can cause gastrointestinal issues, and some are toxic.
So, what about cucumber? Is cucumber safe for dogs and can puppies eat cucumber? It’s good news. Yes, they can! Cucumbers are a healthy treat for your puppy or dog and are safe for them to eat.
Health benefits for dogs eating cucumbers
Cucumbers are full of goodness! They are very low in salt and sugar and are virtually fat-free. As a result, this crunchy veggie has barely any calories, making it an excellent treat for dogs watching their waistlines.
Made up of 96% water, cucumbers make a hydrating treat. Perfect on a hot day! Cucumbers contain many minerals and vitamins which are essential for your dog’s well-being:
• Vitamin K, C, B1, B5, and B6
It’s worth knowing that your dog should get all the nutrients they require from a quality, complete dog food. If you choose to feed extras, such as cucumber, it should be regarded only as a treat! Vets and nutritionists advise treats are only 10% of your dog’s diet. The remaining 90% should come from their regular food.
How much cucumber can my dog eat?
While it’s completely safe to feed your dog cucumber, it’s best not to give your dog too much as it may upset their digestive systems. Feeding a whole cucumber is too much and is not advised! Instead, give them small amounts and make sure it’s chopped into little pieces, avoiding it becoming a choking hazard.
What about feeding cucumbers to puppies?
Puppies often enjoy the crunchy, juicy texture of cucumber so it’s good to know it is safe to give them a little bit. When introducing new food to their diet, take it slowly to avoid upsetting their stomach. By cutting the cucumber into small pieces will prevent your puppy from choking.