<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-KFNX8D" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Can Dogs Eat Grapes? | Kennel Club Insurance
03330 30 50 30
Get a quote
My AccountGet a quote
Get a quote

Back to Guides and advice

Can dogs eat grapes?

Can dogs eat grapes?

Dogs must never eat grapes; they are highly toxic. This includes any dried grapes, so sultanas, currants, and raisins are all unsuitable for your dog.

Dogs are omnivores, so can digest fruit and vegetables as well as meat. However, some fruit and veg is not suitable to give to your dog and can cause digestive issues. Other types are quite simply poisonous. It’s always a good idea to check first before you share! So, can dogs eat grapes? 

The answer is NO. Dogs must never eat grapes, and this applies to younger dogs and puppies too. Grapes are highly toxic to dogs. This includes any dried grapes so sultanas, currants, and raisins. Beware of feeding your dog cakes or cookies that may contain raisins or sultanas.

Why can’t my dog or puppy eat grapes?

It is unknown why grapes are so dangerous to dogs, and they seem to be more toxic to some dogs than others. For some dogs, the effects of poisoning can take place after just one or two. So be extra careful to store grapes out of the reach of your dog, particularly if they a bit greedy and likely to eat anything and everything!

After eating grapes, your dog will develop ‘grape toxicity.’ This condition can lead to acute kidney failure and must not be left untreated. Be aware; this can develop very quickly. If you think your puppy or dog has eaten any grapes or raisins, sultanas or currants, ring your vet immediately. They could suggest you induce vomiting in your dog but always check with them first.  

Grape toxicity- what are the symptoms? 

If you see any of the following signs or suspect your dog has eaten grapes, do not delay in contacting your vet. Poisoning can develop very quickly, and it can prove fatal. 

  • Lethargy, weakness, lethargy, and an uncharacteristic lack of movement
  • Abdominal pain (a painful stomach when touched)
  • Dehydration- dry nose and mouth and excessive panting, pale gums. To can check dog dehydration by pulling up the skin on the scruff of the neck. If it doesn’t spring back in place, your dog is likely to be dehydrated.
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhoea within a couple of hours
  • Increased thirst accompanied by either excess urination or depleted urination. In some cases, no urination at all.

Grape toxicity is a severe problem for your dog. Do not delay in taking them to your vet for treatment.

Previous article

Can dogs eat cucumber?

Next article

Can dogs eat oranges?

Related guides and advice

Follow us

  • Cookie policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and conditions
  • Contact

The Kennel Club Ltd is an Appointed Representative of Agria Pet Insurance Ltd, who administer the insurance. Agria Pet Insurance is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Services Register Number 496160. Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is registered and incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 04258783. Registered office: First Floor, Blue Leanie, Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP21 7QW. Agria insurance policies are underwritten by Agria Försäkring who is authorised and regulated by the Prudential Regulatory Authority and Financial Conduct Authority.

For Jersey customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC). Ref: 0001498. Registered office: As detailed above.

For Guernsey customers:
Clegg Gifford Channel Islands Limited is licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. Ref: 2722221. Registered office: Admiral House, Place Du Commerce, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 2AT.